Every day, almost everywhere we look we're bombarded with someone else's idea of perfection. We're told, "You need this," "You should wear this" and "You need to be this way or that way," but no one tells us that we're just fine.
In this society of "whoever has the most toys wins," no one really does.
A perfect example of self-sabotage is the story Madame Bovary. It's a story about a woman who has it all: a loving and devoted husband, wonderful children, a beautiful house, public standing and respect, and a family who loves her dearly.
When she was young, she went to a fancy ball at a count's home. For the rest of her life she compared everything to that one night. Nothing she ever had was enough. She cheated on her husband and ran them into debt to fill the hole in her life that she, herself, had created.
In the end, she ruined herself and her family all because nothing was ever good enough for her.
We do that to ourselves with negative thinking about our bodies, wanting...
If low self-esteem has you feeling uninspired, there are brighter days ahead. You have the power to renew your ego within a matter of days. You may need to put in a little bit of work to overcome the roadblocks in the way of your rising self-esteem, but your efforts will certainly be worth it.
These tips will help you develop a healthy ego boost in no time at all:
1. Consider your needs. Do what makes you happy without allowing what others may think about you or your decisions to deter you. Once you stop worrying about keeping up with appearances, your mind and soul will be free.
• Living without fear of judgment will allow you to open doors that were once only a dream. Often, you'll even find that your financial situation will improve because you aren't making expensive purchases to keep up appearances.
• Sometimes, family can be your biggest judgment worry. If this is your situation, learn to set boundaries and allow the negativity to roll off. Occasionally, it...
Many might find it shocking that meditation can be used to boost confidence. The truth is that meditation can be used to strengthen any emotion or skill.
When you meditate, you bring a great amount of awareness into your mind. In the moment of meditation you hold the power to decide exactly what your life is all about. The past and the future melt away, and all that's left is you. So when you actively decide to boost confidence, you will!
Bringing Past Feelings Into The Present
The first thing you should do is familiarize yourself with the feelings associated with confidence. Take a moment to recall different times in your life that you felt especially confident. How exactly did you feel?
For example, maybe you remember a time when you entered a sports competition. You trained hard and you believed in yourself. How did you feel right before you started?
Let's say that you now have to lead a group of people at work. You're feeling a little scared about it because all of the...
Do you struggle with self-doubt? Perhaps you often wonder if you've made the right decision or have only a faint hope that your next job interview, project, or even date will turn out well. The most unfortunate thing about self-doubt is that your fears often become self-fulfilling prophecies.
On the other hand, when you take action to become more confident in yourself, more things in your life automatically turn out better as well. With more self-confidence, your decision-making skills are strengthened, others are drawn to you in social situations, you produce higher quality work, and you're more able to create the life you desire.
Try these strategies to silence the inner critic inside of you and regain your confidence:
1. Stop and think. Reflect on why you're experiencing feelings of doubt. Think about the events that caused you to feel insecure. Being faced with a challenge that you don't feel you're capable of successfully completing is a major cause for self-doubt.
Self-confidence helps us believe that we can handle whatever task or challenge comes our way. We could all use a little more of that. However, it's easy to get bogged down with reading and acquiring information. Many people are too busy planning, and lack the confidence, to take action. Planning is important, but if you fail to implement your plan, you won't see results.
Try these activities and boost your confidence today:
1. Try getting specific. Are you confident in your ability to brush your teeth, tie your shoes, and drive a car? Probably so! You likely have more self-confidence than you realize.
* List some situations where you'd like to feel more self-confident. Some examples might include dating situations, public speaking, meeting new people, being more assertive at work, or dealing with conflict.
2. Create a self-confidence blueprint. Take a few minutes and jot down about a half-page of notes regarding the specific situation where you desire greater self-confidence....
Yogi Berra once said that ninety percent of the game is mental. He was talking about the game of baseball, of course, but your attitude determines your altitude in every area of your life. Your thoughts determine your destiny!
A can-do attitude and a healthy dose of self-confidence is all you need to succeed. You, too, can be one of those go-getters who achieve great things.
A little positive reinforcement can go a long way in boosting your self-assurance. Self-talk that supports your goals will have a greater impact on boosting your overall self image than the opinions of others.
You are the Master of your Fate
Do you feel that your life is lacking in some area? If you're experiencing challenges romantically, professionally, or in any other area of life, know that you are the key to changing it. Instead of placing blame on yourself and feeling defeated, realize that you are your greatest chance to effect change that leads to success in any aspect of your life.
You Can Do It...
Why is self-awareness important? Seeing yourself as you truly are is crucial to personal growth. Once you can see the truth, you can more fully develop your natural talents and use your natural passions to find greater success and fulfillment.
As Lao Tzu says, "Knowing others is wisdom, knowing yourself is Enlightenment."
Why Self Awareness is Difficult
It's easy to find fault with others and put your finger on exactly what they're doing wrong, but finding fault with yourself can be extremely challenging.
Instead of admitting your mistakes, it's tempting to try and escape by making excuses and justifying your actions. Or you may just ignore these errors by distracting yourself with pleasurable activities or doing something good for someone to feel better about yourself.
Alternately, you might depend on recognition and admiration from others in order to mask your faults. By doing do, your mind learns to motivate you by external praise rather than by the greater rewards...
One way to truly know yourself is to get in touch with your own set of values. It's easy to get distracted by others' ideals and claim that they're your own because of certain pressures. However, it's vital that you have your own set of principles and morals so you can stand firm in your beliefs.
Your values are simply the things that are most important to you at the core. It's the unwavering belief in what you stand for. When you know your values, you can live a happier life doing what's most important to you.
Expanding Your Mind Through Visualizations
An effective method of identifying your values is to imagine your future. Take the time to reflect on different areas of your life. Where do you see yourself as you get older? What are the things that are most important to you? What do you hope to accomplish in life?
Answering these questions will help you discover your values. For instance, if you picture yourself growing old close to your family and spending valuable time...
Although it might sound a little trite when you're advised to "be your own best friend," the fact is that all your life, you're the only person you'll always have. If you like yourself as an individual, you're more likely to live a happy and fulfilled life.
So what does it really mean to be your own best friend? You'll do and say all the things to yourself that a best friend would. You'll support and encourage yourself to make wise choices and go after your dreams. Most of all, you'll love yourself as only a best friend could.
These strategies can help you discover the joys of being your own best friend:
1. Do a personal inventory of your strengths and weaknesses. Be gentle, yet realistic, in identifying your personal qualities. Know what you're great at and what you might want to work on.
2. Accept yourself just the way you are. Learning to feel comfortable with yourself is one of the biggest hurdles to being your own best friend.
* Maybe you laugh too loud or get jealous...
There's a distinct difference between being quiet and being shy. When you're quiet, you know you have the option to speak, but you just choose not to do so. But when you're shy, you're plagued by discomfort, worry, or even anxiety in social situations.
No matter how shy you think you are, there are ways to train yourself to overcome this barrier. While you won't turn into a social butterfly overnight, you can become a more confident person.
Another benefit of overcoming your shyness is that, without that timidity, you tend to take advantage of new opportunities that come your way.
These tips and tricks will help you conquer shyness:
1. Accept your personality. It's truly important for you to accept yourself for the person that you are. You can never be anyone but you. If you're a quiet person from time to time, so be it. There is just as much beauty in the personality of a quiet person as there is in an outgoing person.
2. Put yourself out there. When you're shy, you're more...