This all started when the phone rang January 2002. But if the truth be known, it began long before that critical call. Mum and I had watched a movie with Joanne Woodward in it about a professor who developed Alzheimers, and for whatever reason, mum and I would joke about some of the things Joanne got up to in the movie, embarrassing things, like wander naked into a water fountain.
It was after this movie mum would ask “You would tell me if I did anything as embarrassing as that… wouldn’t you? The serious tone in her question gave me some insight as to her fear of this dreaded disease. Yet still somehow the both of us would turn this into a giggle….I’d say…. “You wandering around naked last night mum and mum would say “I was not…..you silly girl! We would both laugh, It was a joke between us….in serious moments mum would ask “You would tell me if I did anything like that? I’d reassure her I would and the...
Critical thinking is more than a skill that employers demand. It’s a key ingredient for
leading a meaningful life. While critical thinking can be complicated to describe, it’s basically thinking about thinking. You come to understand the essence of life lessons instead of just memorizing facts. At the same time, you gain more knowledge because creating a context enables you to retain more information. Teach yourself critical thinking skills with this brief
1. Gather evidence. Put together facts to support your conclusions. Consider multiple points of view. Consult a variety of sources from your own personal experience to scientific studies. Collecting a large pool of valid evidence helps you to develop an informed opinion.
2. Test your logic. Counter your own arguments. Pretend you hold the opposite position, Look for weak points in your reasoning that you need to address.
3. Sort out emotions. Emotional responses often shape our thoughts. Feelings enrich our...
Regardless of your experience or level of self-esteem, it's only natural to feel at least
a little nervous when you stand in front of an audience and deliver a public speech. Left unchecked, the butterflies in your stomach can derail your entire presentation. Thankfully, there are ways to master your nervousness so you can confidently deliver your speech and make a great impression. Try these methods to banish stage fright and give an excellent performance:
1. Be prepared. The old saying, “practice makes perfect,” is especially true when it
comes to public speaking. Take the time to rehearse your speech several times before the big event. In addition to practicing your speech out loud to yourself, ask co-workers, friends, and loved ones if you can practice delivering your speech while standing in front of them. Practicing before a live audience makes the actual speech less stressful. Also consider recording your practice sessions. You’ll gain insight on areas of your...
Every day, almost everywhere we look we're bombarded with someone else's idea of perfection. We're told, "You need this," "You should wear this" and "You need to be this way or that way," but no one tells us that we're just fine.
In this society of "whoever has the most toys wins," no one really does.
A perfect example of self-sabotage is the story Madame Bovary. It's a story about a woman who has it all: a loving and devoted husband, wonderful children, a beautiful house, public standing and respect, and a family who loves her dearly.
When she was young, she went to a fancy ball at a count's home. For the rest of her life she compared everything to that one night. Nothing she ever had was enough. She cheated on her husband and ran them into debt to fill the hole in her life that she, herself, had created.
In the end, she ruined herself and her family all because nothing was ever good enough for her.
We do that to ourselves with negative thinking about our bodies, wanting...
If low self-esteem has you feeling uninspired, there are brighter days ahead. You have the power to renew your ego within a matter of days. You may need to put in a little bit of work to overcome the roadblocks in the way of your rising self-esteem, but your efforts will certainly be worth it.
These tips will help you develop a healthy ego boost in no time at all:
1. Consider your needs. Do what makes you happy without allowing what others may think about you or your decisions to deter you. Once you stop worrying about keeping up with appearances, your mind and soul will be free.
• Living without fear of judgment will allow you to open doors that were once only a dream. Often, you'll even find that your financial situation will improve because you aren't making expensive purchases to keep up appearances.
• Sometimes, family can be your biggest judgment worry. If this is your situation, learn to set boundaries and allow the negativity to roll off. Occasionally, it...
Many might find it shocking that meditation can be used to boost confidence. The truth is that meditation can be used to strengthen any emotion or skill.
When you meditate, you bring a great amount of awareness into your mind. In the moment of meditation you hold the power to decide exactly what your life is all about. The past and the future melt away, and all that's left is you. So when you actively decide to boost confidence, you will!
Bringing Past Feelings Into The Present
The first thing you should do is familiarize yourself with the feelings associated with confidence. Take a moment to recall different times in your life that you felt especially confident. How exactly did you feel?
For example, maybe you remember a time when you entered a sports competition. You trained hard and you believed in yourself. How did you feel right before you started?
Let's say that you now have to lead a group of people at work. You're feeling a little scared about it because all of the...
Do you struggle with self-doubt? Perhaps you often wonder if you've made the right decision or have only a faint hope that your next job interview, project, or even date will turn out well. The most unfortunate thing about self-doubt is that your fears often become self-fulfilling prophecies.
On the other hand, when you take action to become more confident in yourself, more things in your life automatically turn out better as well. With more self-confidence, your decision-making skills are strengthened, others are drawn to you in social situations, you produce higher quality work, and you're more able to create the life you desire.
Try these strategies to silence the inner critic inside of you and regain your confidence:
1. Stop and think. Reflect on why you're experiencing feelings of doubt. Think about the events that caused you to feel insecure. Being faced with a challenge that you don't feel you're capable of successfully completing is a major cause for self-doubt.
Self-confidence helps us believe that we can handle whatever task or challenge comes our way. We could all use a little more of that. However, it's easy to get bogged down with reading and acquiring information. Many people are too busy planning, and lack the confidence, to take action. Planning is important, but if you fail to implement your plan, you won't see results.
Try these activities and boost your confidence today:
1. Try getting specific. Are you confident in your ability to brush your teeth, tie your shoes, and drive a car? Probably so! You likely have more self-confidence than you realize.
* List some situations where you'd like to feel more self-confident. Some examples might include dating situations, public speaking, meeting new people, being more assertive at work, or dealing with conflict.
2. Create a self-confidence blueprint. Take a few minutes and jot down about a half-page of notes regarding the specific situation where you desire greater self-confidence....
Yogi Berra once said that ninety percent of the game is mental. He was talking about the game of baseball, of course, but your attitude determines your altitude in every area of your life. Your thoughts determine your destiny!
A can-do attitude and a healthy dose of self-confidence is all you need to succeed. You, too, can be one of those go-getters who achieve great things.
A little positive reinforcement can go a long way in boosting your self-assurance. Self-talk that supports your goals will have a greater impact on boosting your overall self image than the opinions of others.
You are the Master of your Fate
Do you feel that your life is lacking in some area? If you're experiencing challenges romantically, professionally, or in any other area of life, know that you are the key to changing it. Instead of placing blame on yourself and feeling defeated, realize that you are your greatest chance to effect change that leads to success in any aspect of your life.
You Can Do It...
Why is self-awareness important? Seeing yourself as you truly are is crucial to personal growth. Once you can see the truth, you can more fully develop your natural talents and use your natural passions to find greater success and fulfillment.
As Lao Tzu says, "Knowing others is wisdom, knowing yourself is Enlightenment."
Why Self Awareness is Difficult
It's easy to find fault with others and put your finger on exactly what they're doing wrong, but finding fault with yourself can be extremely challenging.
Instead of admitting your mistakes, it's tempting to try and escape by making excuses and justifying your actions. Or you may just ignore these errors by distracting yourself with pleasurable activities or doing something good for someone to feel better about yourself.
Alternately, you might depend on recognition and admiration from others in order to mask your faults. By doing do, your mind learns to motivate you by external praise rather than by the greater rewards...